AGM – remember to have your say!
Honley Business Association AGM:
If you’re a member of Honley Business Association (HBA), join us for our annual general meeting at 6.30pm on Tuesday 8th March, at Honley Sports and Social Club on Jagger Lane.
It’s our first face-to-face AGM for a couple of years due to Covid restrictions, and we’d like as many members as possible to come along.
Afterwards, please stay to enjoy comedian, Lea Roberts. Tickets are available from Zebra for non-members, who can join us in the bar from 7.30pm.
Local businesses stronger together
HBA is all about helping our village to be stronger together. Since the pandemic hit, the committee has worked incredibly hard to support local businesses through the various lockdowns. They’ve promoted businesses to the 7K+ social media followers, made sure everyone had access to information about Government funding and how to apply, and launched a fantastic new website honley.info for people who live, work and visit Honley.
NOW WE NEED YOUR HELP – whether you’re a member or not.
Changes to the committee
After many years of helping HBA improve our village for businesses and residents, Vice Chair, Janet Bebb, is stepping down. Our Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, are also happy to stand aside if anyone is interested in taking on their roles. And we’re always on the lookout for people to become committee members who can support the board.
HBA is in a strong position, and it’s an opportunity for people to offer a fresh perspective and bring new ideas to the table.
More about the positions:
- Chair: Sylvia Sellen chaired HBA for the past 3 years, among her many other community roles. The Chair is responsible for steering HBA in the agreed direction, overseeing events and activities as required.
- Vice Chair: currently filled by Janet Bebb, from Social Progress, the Vice Chair is responsible for supporting the Chair with their work and responsibilities.
- Secretary: as Secretary, June McLean from Zebra, among many other things, helps to manage the Honley Community Facebook Group, which now has more than 7K active and engaged followers. The Secretary is also responsible for taking meeting minutes, applying for grants, organising events and other secretarial duties.
- Treasurer: owner of Stead Robinson accountants, Philip Lofthouse is responsibility for HBA’s annual accounts and making sure the organisation is in a strong financial position.
- Committee member: the committee help with decision making, as well as offering practical help organising events and activities.
The committee usually meets quarterly, but this might be more often in the run up to big events.
We need more help
There are more ways to get involved with HBA, whether it’s helping to organise and support events, such as our HBA Get togethers, organising the Christmas Market and Christmas Light Switch-on, or by installing trees, lights and flags around the village.
Sadly, without more help and support, we cannot continue with many of the above events. So, please, if you want to make a difference in Honley, get involved.
You don’t need to even be a member
While HBA members are more than welcome to throw their hat in the ring, you don’t need to be a member or business owner to sit on the HBA committee.
Indeed, our current Chair, Sylvia, retired from industry and used her skills and knowledge to help the village.
If you or someone you know, has the drive and determination to help Honley continue to be a great place to work, live and visit, please get in touch.
As with any committee, there is a time commitment associated with the role. However, it is not onerous, and the expectation is that it would be approximately 1-2 hours per week, unless events dictate differently.