Good news for Honley Library
We’re back – for 2 afternoons each week!
To keep everyone safe, Honley Library was closed during lockdown. Recently, we re-opened offering a limited service.
Unfortunately, due to the health risks of the covid-19 pandemic, none of our team of local volunteers has been able to help. We miss them very much and can only look forward to the time when they can re-join us and we can resume a full service at the library.
In the background, work has continued and we’ve been busy planning for the transfer of the building to Holme Valley Parish Council, which will then be sub-let to Friends of Honley library. We have many plans to upgrade facilities. We also intend to build on the work of Kirklees Library Service to open up the building as a welcoming community resource.
New opening times
In the interim period, Kirklees are opening up Honley Library Tuesdays and Fridays from 1pm to 4pm for safe borrowing.
Please help us to keep everyone safe
To allow as many people as possible to access Honley Library safely, we’ve introduced some new rules that we kindly ask everyone to adhere to:
- 15-minute time limit on choosing books. The library is only open for a total of 6 hours each week, and we are limited to the number of people in the library at any one time. To make things as fair as possible for everyone, we’re limiting browsing time to 15 minutes.
- Place returned books in the bin at the door. This will help us to collect all returned books in one place. Returned books will then be quarantined for 72 hours.
- No seating, newspapers or magazines in the library. To keep people safe from potential cross contamination, we’ve removed seats newspapers and magazines for the time being.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult and supervised at all times. We love welcoming children to the library but at the moment, we need to make sure that everyone adheres to social distancing. As we realise that this can be difficult for children, we ask that they have an adult with them to keep everyone safe.
More ways to access Kirklees library services
At selected libraries the Ring and Read service and limited IT facilities are available
Ring and Read: from 1 November 2020, you can call and order a selection of books and a time to collect them from participating libraries. Call 01484 414868 to book your Ring and Read slot at either:
IT provision: 45-min IT provision slot can be accessed at the following libraries. Book online https://bookapc.kirklees.gov.uk/ or by calling 01484 414868:
- Chestnut Centre
- Greenwood Centre (Ravensthorpe)
For much more information about Honley Library and other libraries within Kirklees, please visit htpps://kirkleestogether.co.uk and search for Libraries, safe borrowing.
You’ll discover several fantastic on line events available too.
Children’s events coming soon
Friends of Honley Library have been awarded a grant of £1,000 from Holme Valley Parish Council for Children’s Events. We’d like to say a huge thank you to Holme Valley Parish Council. We’ll have more information about the events coming soon.
Please check before you visit
Due to the changing nature of local lockdowns, we strongly advise you to contact Kirklees Library service on 01484 414868 to check for any changes to the information detailed above. The library staff on this line are very helpful.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Jenny Lockwood, Friends of Honley Library