Long Lane starter circuit
Distance: c. 2.2 miles / 3.5 km
Starting and finishing point: Honley Library, West Avenue, Honley
Considerations: This is a road run and suitable for most seasons.
Considering that wherever you go in Honley, you’re likely to encounter a hill of some description, this run is one of the more gentler routes. That’s not to say there aren’t any hills, starting from the library, it’s a steady uphill run along Moorbottom and Bradshaw Road to Long Lane. The first part of Long Lane is relatively level, with a bit of an incline as you hit the fields and then it rises again as you head towards Oldfield Road.
Once you’ve topped Long Lane though, the uphill sections are more or less finished and it’s a pleasant downhill return to the village along Banks Road and Far End Lane, with stunning views over the valley towards Castle Hill. There is a slight incline where Far End Lane reaches Southgate, and once you turn on to Westgate it’s a short uphill climb through the village, before you drop down and return to the library.
It’s a great starter route or one to test your speed over shorter distances.
Warning: The run includes country roads with no pavements. Please take care when running this route. Always wear hi-vis clothing and suitable footwear, and run in a group.
- From Honley Library head along Moorbottom
- At The Foresters bear left on to Bradshaw Road
- Take the second left on to Long Lane
- Continue along Long Lane for approx. 1km
- At the end turn left on to Oldfield Road
- At the junction turn left on to Banks Road
- Continue straight ahead on Banks Road – which becomes Far End Lane, then Southgate – until you reach the village.
- Turn left on to Westgate
- Continue straight ahead until you return to the library at the roundabout.