Digley reservoir circular walk
Distance: 1.5 miles
Difficulty Rating: Easy
This short walk (around an hour at a leisurely pace) is packed with stunning views of the Holme Valley and Peak District moorland and woodland as you wander around the reservoir, with plenty of benches along the way to simply sit and soak up the scenery!
- Starting at Digley South free car park postcode HD9 2QD. (Or take the 314 bus from Honley to Holme village and follow the signs for Digley.)
- Walk down on to Field Head Lane along the path towards the water tower
- Enjoy the fabulous view across the reservoir as you approach the overflow, then turn left along Digley Royd Lane.
- At the corner take the wooden gate and the footpath along the edge of the reservoir, where there’s a convenient bench to sit and take in the view of Holme Moss looking across the water.
- Climb the steps and turn left through the gate at the top along the footpath. (There’s a quarry on your right, which is worth a detour in the summertime, as it is smothered in heather and a great place to spot butterflies.) Head downhill via main reservoir footpath, taking extra care, as it’s very uneven towards the woodland and take a slight right fork along the main path between the edge of the wood and the open field.
- The path leads to stone steps to take you down and over what is usually a gentle stream with the reservoir on your left. Keep going straight ahead then follow the main footpath right. Carry on the wide wall-lined footpath which finally veers to the left.
- As you go slightly uphill, you’re rewarded at the top by stunning views of both Digley and Bilberry reservoirs, with benches for a perfect place to ponder the wonders of the vast moorland view across to Holme Moss.
- Head down the hill towards Bilberry reservoir.
- Turn left at the bottom, through the gate and carry on down to the dam that runs between Digley and Bilberry reservoirs. Walk across the dam and to the left is a steep and uneven set of steps.
- Climb to the top and carry straight on the footpath, where you’ll arrive at a bench on your right to sit and take in the view of Digley across towards Digley Cottages.
- There is a gate beside the bench. Turn left once you’re through the gate and keep on the footpath until you return to the south car park start.