Holme to Holmbridge circular walk
Distance: The walk is approximately 4 miles.
Difficulty Rating: Moderate
This is a really varied walk, taking in woodland, reservoirs, and long distance views of Holme Moss on the edge of the Peak District.
- Starting at Holme village (there is a cobbled free parking area on the right, or take the bus from Honley)
- Walk along Field Head Lane beside the old school house on the corner opposite Holme Castle
- Follow the road down and pass Digley reservoir on your left
- Turn right down the hill at the end of the reservoir, with Digley cottages above you on the left
- You’ll see a footpath on your right with a seat just over the wall just after the Yorkshire Water building. Take this and why not sit a moment and take in the view across to Holme Moss?
- Continue down the steps to the left of the seat, down the steep slope diagonally through woodland and the metal gate until you reach the bottom where Digley Brook flows through the wooded valley.
- Turn left and follow the wide path down beside the brook until you reach Holmbridge with the cricket pitch on your right.
- Turn right at the bottom of the hill and walk along the path with the cricket pitch on your right and the impressive St David’s church on your left.
- Take Bank Lane at the corner sign-posted ‘Yateholme’ and follow it round to the right and uphill as it becomes Brownhill Lane. Continue until you reach Brownhill reservoir on the right, and further along Ramsden reservoir.
- When you reach Ramsden reservoir, there’s a lovely spot called Tinker’s Well on your left, with a picnic bench beside the well. A perfect place to sit and soak up the spectacular view across Ramsden reservoir to Holme Moss.
- Continue on the road, which becomes more of a track now, as it winds its way past a house to the next reservoir, Riding Wood on your left. It’s worth taking a moment or two to take in the view to your right looking down at Ramsden reservoir.
- Carry on the main road/track as it winds its way beside Yateholme reservoir. Continue on this track lined with huge pine conifers as it bends to the right and the view to the right opens up again as you lose the trees.
- When you arrive at the fork in the road where a dirt track goes up to the left, at this point look for the stile and footpath sign to your right. Looking across the fields, you’ll see Holme village. Go over the stile and continue across the fields heading for Holme, over another stile and down some steps through a wooded area. Carry on up the hill and you will reach a white cottage, take the footpath to the left of it and you’re back in Holme village.