River Holme Run
Distance: c. 3.3 miles / 5km
Starting and Finishing Point: School Street, Honley. The run can also start and finish in the village centre.
Considerations: The footpath that runs along the river is on uneven ground.
A River Holme Sprint
Ellen Gray, of Ellen Gray Hypnobirthing, knows how to make the most of our area’s beautiful countryside. As a hypnobirthing coach in Honley, she knows all too well the benefits in obtaining the right mind and body balance through life.
Ellen loves nothing more than donning her running gear and staying active to help keep her mind clear. She has shared her River Holme run so that others can enjoy the same experience.
The busy mum’s route starts and finishes in School Street, Honley, so a perfect way to start your day after dropping the kids at school.
We advise you to stock up on food and drink in Honley either before or after you set off. For those not wanting to combine their run with a school drop off, you can just as easily start your route on Westgate in the village centre.
- From Honley Junior Infant and Nursery School on School Street, head towards Church Street and begin your sprint down the cobbled road into Honley village.
- At the zebra crossing, carefully cross over Westgate and regain your pace as you head towards Southgate.
- Keep following the footpath along Southgate until the road becomes Far End Lane.
- On Far End Lane, follow the road as it drops down to Woodhead Road on your left.
- On Woodhead Road, turn right and continue your pace along the footpath. You are now heading towards Brockholes.
- Turn left off Woodhead Road onto Smithy Place footpath next to the bus stop.
- This then joins onto Smithy Place Lane. Follow to the bottom and turn right onto the footpath just before the main road.
- The footpath takes you through Hagg Wood and along the River Holme. You are now heading towards Holmfirth.
- Follow the tree lined footpath along the river, taking care along uneven ground. As the seasons change, take a moment to enjoy Hagg Wood and its colourful display of autumnal leaves, or feel the warmth of summer sun as it breaks through the trees. Listen to the sounds of the river. Can you spot the heron silently keeping watch?
- Just before New Mill Road, turn right, as if you are heading towards Home Valley Camping and Caravan Park.
- At the camp site, pick up Lancaster Lane which will take you back onto Woodhead Road, and turn right.
- Retrace your steps back along Woodhead Road, on to Far End Lane and Southgate, and keep heading back towards Honley village.
- Once in the village, you can rest your legs at one of the many pubs, cafes or restaurants. Those who may be pushed for time, can stock up in Honley to enjoy food and drink while on the go.