Help support young people in Honley
Honley has a lot going for it as a village. We’ve some amazing schools, a great community spirit and lots of things to do – in non-Covid times – for all ages.
Yet, that’s only half the story.
We ASKed Honley – our young people answered
Last year, we commissioned a survey – ASK Honley – to find out what people really thought about our village, and also how we could improve our community and facilities. It was a real eye-opener. One of the things that came across loud and clear was that many young people in Honley are struggling.
Some of the things they told us were hard to hear:
- They feel they have nowhere safe to go
- Some are often hungry
- Others feel unwanted
- Lonliness was a common theme
- Some are worried about school
- Or if they’ll ever get a job
They also said that they have no one to talk to and that they feel no one is listening to them. Covid-19, with enforced lockdown, being unable to see friends, and greater financial worries for some families, is only making things worse for our young people.
We want to let our young people know that they’re not alone. That we are listening. And more importantly, we’re acting to make things better.
Help us raise at least £10,000
During non-Covid times there are many things going on in Honley for young people. There’s the Friday night Youth Club, lots of sports clubs, Scouts, Brownies and more community groups, but:
- The cost of taking part and equipment is a barrier for some children.
- Young people and their families often aren’t aware these clubs and activities exist.
To change this, we want to employ a Youth Worker for Honley, who will make a difference by:
- Working with existing voluntary and private groups for young people.
- Providing places for kids to go – to do homework, to hang out, to be safe.
- Helping young people and families access groups and clubs:
- Raising awareness about opportunities.
- Helping with funding or equipment.
To make this happen, we need your help and support. We’ve secured match funding from One Community. If we raise £10,000 they will match fund every penny. Download our donation form.
Please donate what you can
If you can give £5, with match funding from One Community and Gift Aid, Honley will receive £12.50.
There are 5 ways TO DONATE:
- ON LINE at https://uk.gofundme.com/f/honley-youth-worker
- CHEQUE posted to Zebra, 25 Westgate, Honley, HD9 6AA, made payable to ‘Honley Village Community’
- BACS with Sort Code: 20-43-04; Account No: 63272109; Account Name: Honley Village Community Trust; Payment Reference: Match It (if paying by BACS, please make sure you use the account name: Honley Village Community Trust, otherwise you will receive a ‘does not match’ message). Thank you.)
- CASH can be dropped off at Zebra, but please call 01484 661007 to let us know. (Please do not send cash through the post.)
- CHANGE can be popped into our collection buckets at the Co-Op stores on Westgate and Huddersfield Road.
This initiative is supported by Honley’s Community Groups working together: Friends of Honley Library, Friends of Honley, Honley Business Association, Youth Club and Community Trust
We’re here to help. Call 07808 632215.
Thank you for helping to make our young people’s lives better!